MOST INFLUENTIAL ROCK GUITARIST

kevbone

Yeah for music I like

The thread is not titled THE GREATEST ROCK GUITARIST THAT INFLUENCED ME, AND THAT I LIKE. It the greatest ROCK guitarist. It’s not about whether you like him/her or not. Just did they influence more other guitarist? Did the style of the times change after him/her hit the airwaves? How many others band/guitarists tried to imitate him/her? I believe these are some of the questions you/we need to ask to answer the original post.

And yes, this thread has run its course

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!!!!

Obviously you need to read the rest of what I said in the rest of my post:

Overall, I would have to agree with Hendrix vote. He took rock and pushed it. He approached the guitar as a completely new instrument and played it the "wrong" way. Ok granted other people were doing similar things, but he had a much larger aduience. He definitely changed rock and probably has more influence over any other guitarist. I think if you were to poll guitarist this question, Hendrix would be on top.

You should lay off the crack if you think Eddie was the most influencial guitarist. Please, yeah when it come to rock maybe Eddie, but he didn't influence any music outside of the rock scene. Still think Hendrix influnced many more people. Hell I don't even listen to Hendrix.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night, I mentioned to a couple of seasoned recording-session guitar-players (one is primarily jazz/blues a la Larry Carlton, the other has roots mainly in Metal) this little debate of E. Van Halen vs. Jimi. In unison, they gasped, gave motion of nausea, uttered profanities, and shook their heads.

They said, "Jimi; absolutely no contest."

well, actually, one of them said, "only a musical idiot would think Van Halen comes close to Jimi in influence."

Last night, I mentioned to a couple of seasoned recording-session guitar-players (one is primarily jazz/blues a la Larry Carlton, the other has roots mainly in Metal) this little debate of E. Van Halen vs. Jimi. In unison, they gasped, gave motion of nausea, uttered profanities, and shook their heads.

They said, "Jimi; absolutely no contest."

Whoopi frickin do! Your musically inclined friends blow ass. Just like you.

Jimmi and Eddie were both influential. But Eddie is just a little more.

End of thread!

PS at least until I decide to bring it back.

Whoopi frickin do! Your musically inclined friends blow ass. Just like you.

Jimmi and Eddie were both influential. But Eddie is just a little more.

End of thread!

PS at least until I decide to bring it back.

You're delusional. Jimi was much more influential. He came first, which gives him a huge advantage in this area. More people listened to him, and he changed everything. His style of rhythm guitar is unbelievable. And he arrived at the right time - in the golden age of rock and roll and the 60's.

Eddie was also very influential, but not as broadly nor with as much impact. Because he came later, at the "wrong time", and there was far less for him to change, to impact.

As for concrete proof, there are far more covers of Jimi songs than Eddie. And nothing, nothing, that Eddie wrote can come close to Voodoo Chile (slight return)

You're delusional. Jimi was much more influential. He came first, which gives him a huge advantage in this area. More people listened to him, and he changed everything. His style of rhythm guitar is unbelievable. And he arrived at the right time - in the golden age of rock and roll and the 60's.

Eddie was also very influential, but not as broadly nor with as much impact. Because he came later, at the "wrong time", and there was far less for him to change, to impact.

As for concrete proof, there are far more covers of Jimi songs than Eddie. And nothing, nothing, that Eddie wrote can come close to Voodoo Chile (slight return)

Im not so sure.

In reality, it’s a hard toss up. Jimi is the man. Eddie is the man. I think more OTHER guitarist tried to sound like Eddie after he hit the airwaves more than Jimi. Eddie actually changed the way rock guitarist played. Everybody actually tried to sound like him.

And coming out first, has nothing to do with it.

Im not so sure.

In reality, it’s a hard toss up. Jimi is the man. Eddie is the man. I think more OTHER guitarist tried to sound like Eddie after he hit the airwaves more than Jimi. Eddie actually changed the way rock guitarist played. Everybody actually tried to sound like him.

your marriage to a lawyer is beginning to become plausible: you both win every argument in your own minds.

By way of analogy, Thomas Edison is the man, and Lowell Cross (inventor of the laser light show) is the man. I think more hair bands played under laser light shows than under plain old stupid light bulbs, even the colored ones that blink on and off in time with the music. Lowell actually changed the way rock concerts, especially Supertramp concerts, are staged.

And coming out first has nothing to do with it.

In reality, it’s a hard toss up. Jimi is the man. Eddie is the man.

More guitarists cite Jimi as an influence. More artists cover Hendrix songs.

Clapton was influenced by Hendrix, for God's sake. In fact, two anecdotes are appropriate here:

1. Clapton gave up playing the Crybaby wah-wah peddle for some time because Hendrix did it so much better.

2. Eddie sent a tape to Clapton back in the day (circa 1978) with his solos, eruption-style finger-tapping, etc. Clapton was not in the least impressed, and called it basically uninspiring, technical rubbish with no feel. Clapton was a huge influence on Eddie (who learned and memorized all Clapton's solos by ear). Jimi->Clapton->Eddie. The chain does not go Eddie->Clapton, and Eddie was in diapers when Jimi was alive.

'Nuff said.

I don’t consider Clapton to be ROCK guitar player, or really that good to be considered on this discussion. I know he gets respect, but for what. Jammin the blues? Hell Steavy Ray V. is way better than Clapton.

I like some Clapton and give the respect for what he has done with music. But really I have never heard any truly virtuoso guitar playing from Clapton.

Eddie learned Clapton solely because Clapton came before him. But coming before doesn’t necessarily mean you have more influence. Just means, you came before.

I think Hendrix is winning in this debate. I've already offered my opinion: Hendrix ...hands down.

But what about Jeff Beck? Not a contender for most influential ...but definitely influential in his own right. I'd argue that he stands out for creative vision and the ability to marry jazz improvisation and rock. Also, his solos were really lyrical and propelled the song. What was Beck's best album? Blow by Blow? How about that song "Going down". Wasn't that album The Jeff Beck Group? Are you younger guys familiar with Beck?

I don’t consider Clapton to be ROCK guitar player,....I know he gets respect, but for what. Jammin the blues?

What the hell does the blues have to do with rock? I'm going to go out to twelve bars and try to figger it all out in a cold assed fashion.

There's gotta be a scientological explanation.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I think Hendrix is winning in this debate. I've already offered my opinion: Hendrix ...hands down.

But what about Jeff Beck? Not a contender for most influential ...but definitely influential in his own right. I'd argue that he stands out for creative vision and the ability to marry jazz improvisation and rock. Also, his solos were really lyrical and propelled the song. What was Beck's best album? Blow by Blow? How about that song "Going down". Wasn't that album The Jeff Beck Group? Are you younger guys familiar with Beck?

I ain't superstitious...