Wild Country zero cam opinions? Anybody?

Kevin_Matlock

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got Z3, Z4, and Z5 and have been reasonably happy with them. Though I haven't fallen on them yet, action is good, floppy stems good, extendable sling good, and smaller/less bulky then the equivalent TCU's (though I have TCU's in the larger sizes).

Did talk to an aid climber friend who really disliked them though. She felt they tended to get stuck more easily than Aliens or TCU's.

I think they're awesome and at that price you should buy some. The flexible stem makes them very useful. I wouldn't say they replace Aliens but they can fit some places where Aliens can't (vice versa applies too).

One thing to note is that there are two versions, the old ones and the new ones with longer stems. The longer stems are probably nicer but the old ones are good.

The two smallest ones are really only good for aid. The purple one is pretty alarmingly small.

wild country zero cams, long stem!

$29.83/ea

z3 silver

z4 gold

z5 blue

z6 red

sorry folks, i snagged the last blue and red they had, they have 4 of the silver and 4 of the golds left. saw no sign of the z1 purple or z2 green... maybe they don't carry 'em?

where: tualatin, (not so) evil empire

get 'em while the gettins good. [tup]

btw, looked on line at rei.com and didn't see any sign of this sale so it might just be a local store sale. your local store's mileage may vary i guess.

The Z1-3 are great for aid. They can work in thin cracks instead of pins. You do have to be careful, though.

I had placed the Z1 on the 4th pitch of Re-Animator in Yos and moved up on it. (Didn't bounce test it, cause it's so small.) While fumbling around for the next placement, I heard a bit of a ripping sound. Since I was still on the gear, I assumed it biner shift. After moving onto the next piece, a rivet, I looked back and noticed that the Z1 had shifted and I had been standing on only two lobes.

Bomber, dude.

Z1.jpg

The Z1-3 are great for aid. They can work in thin cracks instead of pins. You do have to be careful, though.

I had placed the Z1 on the 4th pitch of Re-Animator in Yos and moved up on it. (Didn't bounce test it, cause it's so small.) While fumbling around for the next placement, I heard a bit of a ripping sound. Since I was still on the gear, I assumed it biner shift. After moving onto the next piece, a rivet, I looked back and noticed that the Z1 had shifted and I had been standing on only two lobes.

Bomber, dude.

Z1.jpg

Eeek! I just pooped my pants a little.

I went to REI to rent some snowshoes for an outing with the ladyfriend and saw the $30 new style zeros. I showed restraint and only bought two sets.

snoogins

I've fallen on Yellow, Blue, and Red. All held great. Haven't fallen on the gray Z3 yet, you can free climb on that one too, not just aid.

I have the silver - red but haven't fallen on them. Good to hear you had positive results!! They are so floppy and the heads are so small. That's the point, I guess, but they wig me out a little.

• 2 weeks later...

wicked sweet! Hate to support the evil empire, but at least i know they aren't making much money with them being half off. I stopped by REI today to check out the new Rambo Comp 4s (didn't have 'em) and saw this deal. Think I'll pick up the Z 4,5,6 after reading these reviews. I've already got the BD C3s, but these sounds pretty bomber for the horizontal cracks and all that jazz.

Plus I was looking for some aliens, but we don't sell 'em anymore and this is a screaming deal.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think there is a ball nut that fits the range of a Z6.

That would be Metolius #2. In fact, a Metolius #00 covers a WCZ #3 and that leaves only the WCZ #1 & #2 that need alternatives. Ball nuts provide coverage up through WCZ #4. Bottom line, Ball nuts are a way, way better choice than the low end of WCZ's and Metolius TCU's are a way better alternative to the second half of the WCZ range. They are just a very weak alternative to other options in my opinion.