[TR] Harvey - NF Ramp 1/28/2007

G-spotter

Trip: Harvey - NF Ramp

Date: 1/28/2007

Trip Report:

Styro the whole way. Quite good conditions. Fat WI2 and 3 bulges available on left side for playtime. WI2 finish is in if you go straight up from top of ramp instead of traversing left.

Thanks to whomever left a nice line of kicked steps up it, yesterday?

Of particular note there is a shitload of ice on the true NF, in the Gut and up the Pup Butt. If you can climb Scottish VII/VIII and have a rack of Spectres or Warthogs (for ice filled cracks) you'd probably dig it.

Gear Notes:

Took gear for walk. Placed one picket at snack break/crampon adjustment point 1/3 of the way up.

Approach Notes:

Walk to base, 1.5 hours. Little bit of postholing but not enough for snowshoes.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was probably dropped sometime after you cut right off the ridge crest and start dropping thru the forest. But it could be anywhere between the summit and the junction with the Lions Trail, which is where we noticed it was missing.

Approach still has signage. But really, first left is to Brunswick, second left is to Harvey NF.

Pup's Butt takes the right side of the lower stuff (hidden 2-pitch ice filled chimney below that) then the icy dogleg crack to hidden snow slabs above then more ice-filled cracks to da summit.

That was me up there on Saturday post holing and kicking steps. I was hoping that someone else would have done the work already.

Also, to add to Drew's ice report, there were at least a couple lines of nice looking ice at the top of the Magnesia Meadows basin. I'm not much of an ice climber, so I don't know if they'd actually be worthwhile slogging up to, but they looked fun to me.

Yeah we saw that too. I could still see the top of the roof of the Mag Meadows emergency shelter sticking out of the snow, maybe you could dig it out and winter camp there overnight and get in an alpine WI weekend? Cause Magnesia Meadows is a little bit far to approach for day cragging, for me anyways.

no sign of a crampon on the descent that we saw yesturday after climbing the ramp

Thanks for all the boot prints definetly made it easier.

As for the direct finish did anyone climb that this go around, we were still using headlamps at this part of the climb and it looked really thin so we stuck with the regular route.

Started at 420 from the parking area back to the car at 853 a lot faster then other times I have climbed it and thats because of snow conditions as well as a partner that ran the downhill that I needed to keep up too.

"Peas" did you solo it?