OR Legislation - enjoy this one

iain

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed my legislators.

If you delete half of the above link, you can get to the Oregon legislation webpage and there is a link to e-mail your legislators

www.leg.state.or.us will get you there.

I've carried an MLU and beacon and have no problems with doing so, but it should not be up to the government to tell us what equipment to carry. As a result of such a proposed bill, will they be designing classes on how to use this equipment? Will they then tell us what routes we can and cannot climb suring certain months? What about the ski areas above Timberline. How many skiers will carry one while riding the Palmer Lift. Liability falls upon the climber or recreationalist and not the government. Our legislators should not be pointing the finger at one group of recreationalists ( climbers) while not considering all other recreational user groups who have had to be rescued ( hunters, boaters, hikers, etc).

I'm certainly not pointing any fingers either, but each of the above recreational users groups have had to be rescued at some point because of not being prepared, making poor judgements, or being very prepared but just getting into trouble because of injury or other unfortunate circumstance.

I told them what an ill-conceived house bill this was and should reconsider not following through with it.

Kellie

Access Fund Regional Coordinator- Oregon