Looking for a good lightweight shell and pants

Klimber

OK, since you guys are so helpful I want to throw another question at you.

I have a North Face Kitchatna Shell, very bulky and heavy but bulletproof. I would like to get something as small and light as possible for summer hiking, backpacking, camping, rock climbing, basically everything. I also need pants to go with these, my heavy, sky pants are not cutting it.

I have ordered the Marmot Precip shell and Marmot Precip full-zip pants

Any thoughts on these or other shell and pants? I do require full-zip pants.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Klimber....you might think about softshell vs. hardshell pants. You can go two ways with pants...either get something that can be taken on and off easily, or get something that comfortable across a wide temp range so you don't have to take them off (important consideration if you are wearing a harness). I have a pair of Mammut (meteorite???)pants....very light nylon softshell (3xdry) with stretchier light shoeller knees. I don't think they make them any more, but got them at Feathered Friends.

They are my most worn piece of clothing...love them. The are windproof and water resistant, and I'm less worried about fully waterproof on the bottom end. They are very abrasion resistant which is great for rockclimbing. Light waterproof shell pant tend to tear easily. I've worn them on a one day Prussik peak approach/climb/return to car in 90 degree temps and climbed the Kautz glacier to the summit with nothing else on...above or below so very wide temperature range. They were also pretty cheap (~ $90).

I think there are a number of quality manufacturers with something equivalent.

Edited by ericb

ericb has a good point regarding pants. for backpacking i usually either bring a light nylon pant which is not waterproof, but dries quickly, or i go shorts plus ultralight waterproof pants. in the mountains (i mean climbing, rather than backpacking) i always wear a softshell pant, no matter what the weather. your precip pants would fit my criteria for ultralight waterproof pants, which will be good for very wet (like olympic rainforest) backpacking and could be employed for climbing too, but maybe not ideally so.

on top the precip jacket is a good lightweight jacket. there are lighter however (but maybe not as inexpensive) and the cut/fit and hood on the precip are not ideal for climbing. patagonia makes some awesome very light shells that have stretch, but are hardshells nonetheless (ie totally (?) waterproof). check out their jetstream or spraymaster jackets. mont-bell also makes some nice light jackets.

wow, really interesting suggestion. I really like the stretch knee idea. I would defintely agree that they don't have to be waterproof. it would be really hard for me to buy something that doesn't have full-zips but given you suggestion I might have to go with that, sounds like a good setup.

I will look into it, thanks!

The Marmot Precip pants are one of my favorites for downpours. For anything less, a softshell pant gives you better durability and breathability. For a lightweight hardshell, check out the North Face Diad jacket. Pit zips, cheast pocket, full function hood and waist pulls, and superlight at 9 oz. I keep this in the pack and wear it over my softshell or insulating mid-layer in heavy rain.

i undo my leg loops, zip on my pants, tuck them under the waistbelt, and rebuckle leg loops. never have to unplant feet. obviously, i dont go puttin on and taking off pants in the middle of steep pitches, but there's lots of times i've wanted my last little layer of warmth sometime after putting on big boots. some of those slip on pants wouldn't even slip over boots, and even those that would, you get them all wet in side. so my preference for wintery climbing is full zips. i cant afford arcteryx gear anyway, but i've never been attracted to their full-zip-minus-four-inches approach.

I switched to soft shells a while back and I'm way more comfortable. Partial vent zips and something to cinch the pants up to the knees (a good gentlemen climbs in jodpurs) are all anybody should need to keep cool. I take light full zip shell pants in those situations where it might all go wrong, but I haven't used them in a long while, and leave them at home most of the time.