[TR] South Early Winter Spire - SW Coulior 5/6/2007

powdrx

Trip: South Early Winter Spire - SW Coulior

Date: 5/6/2007

Trip Report:

3 of us left the Blue Lake TH at 8am. Followed tracks up through the trees to the basin. Good skin track in, but it was pretty icy in the morning. Followed it up to the base of the couloir and traded the skis for ice axe and crampons. The route was great and we soloed the whole thing (Nice steps Toby). One 8ft icy spot with some loose scree showing through, but we moved on past. We were lounging at the top of the couloir by 11 and enjoyed some sun. Ira and I hopped up to the summit; a little more fun with AT boots on and icy rocks. We met another group of three coming up and matched ropes for 2x 60m raps past the icy "crux" and downclimbed the rest. The 3 guys we met took off on foot (Good to meet ya'll), and we straped down the sticks!! Fun tracks in soft creamy snow on down to the trees and then bumper pool to the cars. Great day!!!

Gear Notes:

Aluminum crampons, ice ax. We brought 3 pickets, 4 cams and 1 screw that never got used, but the pickets and some rock pro could have been used if needed.

Approach Notes:

Follow the path(s), then follow the boot steps!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We got to the TH about 7:30 and found and there were two other cars there, but by afternoon, there were many more cars. We counted about 25 people going over the pass toward the B-Day tour. As usual, mid-weeks or get there early!!

I'm not sure I understand your answer on the parking. Last year at this time of year the Blue Lake parking lot was under a couple feet of snow. There was a small plowed section just in front of it. There was room for a few cars at the hairpin turn as well. When you say "there were many more cars" it makes me think the parking lot is plowed or melted out....true?