[TR] Mount Goddard - Starr's Route 6/30/2007

off_the_hook

Trip: Mount Goddard - Starr's Route

Date: 6/30/2007

Trip Report:

Located deep inside Kings Canyon National Park and the highest summit west of the Sierra crest in the region, Mount Goddard's prominence and location afford a unique view. The climb took 15:15, starting at 4 am, summiting at 10:55 am, and finishing at 7:15 pm (yes, the return trip took longer). My route through Lamarck col and Darwin Canyon entailed around 10,000 feet of elevation gain, three major uphill climbs, and well over 30 miles of ground to cover. Plus, the route took me up the spectacular Evolution Basin, one of the most famous sections of the John Muir Trail. I brought an ice axe and didn't need it, but it was good to have for training purposes.

689859803_b427f7ae80_b.jpg

Mount Darwin and Mount Mendel from below Lamarck col.

689859977_d77b531467_b.jpg

I set out from North Lake at 4 am and made good time to Lamarck col, arriving at 6 am. From the col, I descended down into Darwin Canyon, then Darwin Bench, and then around the corner to the gorgeous Evolution Basin.

goddard0001.JPG

Evolution Lake.

goddard0002.JPG

689860059_aedbd59fb5_b.jpg

Mount Huxley rises above a tarn in Evolution Basin.

689860161_f80d4595e8_b.jpg

The walk up Evolution Basin went smoothly and I was soon at the pass above Wanda Lake.

goddard0006.JPG

Mount Goddard reflecting in tarn at pass above Wanda Lake.

A talus descent brought me to the base of Starr's Route on Mount Goddard. The third class rock was pretty fun and I was soon atop Goddard ridge with a long talus slope ahead that was a bit tedious.

goddard0007.JPG

The prominent ridge is the route I took - "Starr's Route".

goddard0008.JPG

View South from ridge leading to Goddard's summit.

I reached the summit at 10:55 am, 6 hours and 55 minutes after starting. I rested on the summit and took photos for 45 minutes and then began the descent.

690772482_a7d61593f3_b.jpg

View South, including the Palisades to the left.

689860171_0ad37834cb_b.jpg

View to Davis Lake, Wanda Lake, and Evolution Basin.

goddard0012.JPG

Davis Lake and Mount McGee.

The walk back down through Evolution Basin was nice and I was still making decent time.

689860323_30ba4d2940_b.jpg

Wanda Lake in upper Evolution Basin.

690772406_3824345441_b.jpg

goddard0013.JPG

Evolution Lake view.

goddard0014.JPG

I was feeling good until I had to change gears for the third and final uphill climb through Darwin Canyon and up to Lamarck col, which is a little difficult to spot from the slopes below.

goddard0015.JPG

Looking back down the perfect U-shaped Darwin Canyon.

goddard0016.JPG

The North Face of Mount Darwin on the way up to Lamarck col.

The final ascent of the day to Lamarck col was tiresome but fortunately, the rest of the way from the col was downhill and I arrived at North Lake at 7:15 pm, 15 hours and 15 minutes after beginning.

goddard0009.JPG

Gear Notes:

No axe needed.

Approach Notes:

In good shape.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though your reports have no climbing in them, per say, I really enjoy them. It really makes me miss living in the US, especially when I see such beautiful alpine scenery with no people around. I long for quiet like that, I can never find it here.

• 2 weeks later...