cleaning cams

arrow

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, be careful with your rack in the mountains (try to keep your cams out of dirt in the first place).

Make sure the slings don't come into contact with any chemicals you use.

I first heat up a pot of soapy boiling water and dip the heads of the cams in (one at a time) and pull the trigger bar back and forth. That usually fixes the problem. I then might spray some WD-40 on the axle/springs.

http://www.tradgirl.com/climbing_faq/gear_maintenance.shtml#cleancams

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/cammaintkit.htm

Despite what Gary says, don't use WD-40 on your cams. It attracts dirt and removes oil which lubricates them. Then you have to use more Wd40, which attracts more dirt. Eventually your cam seizes up completely.

Instead, the best thing you can use is "White Lightning" bike chain lubricant. If you can't get any, Metolius Cam Lube is the same product thumbs_up.gif in a different bottle at a higher price thumbs_down.gif

White ligntning works great smile.gif So does the boiling pot of slightly soapy water.

Watch how much of the wax based lube you use on the small cams though. I have a couple where the action isn't quite as stiff as I'd like as I think there is too much wax on them, well and i'm too lazy to re-clean them tongue.gif

A good thing to do to all of them in the winter before putting them away.

Get the bike chain lube or the Metolious product if you can, but I've had decent results with the WD-40 too. Over the years I have used various products - including silicon, graphite, wd-40, and bike chain lube - and I think the silicon seemed no good but everything else has worked generally OK. I'd be careful to try not to get any of it on the sewn slings.