Ptarmigan Traverse - South End (renamed)

mike1

I was going to ask the question, but ended up finding out the answer first, so this is an FYI out to you all that might be planning a trip like the Ptarmigan Traverse.

Forest Road 26 is closed from a washout as you can see from the FR 26 closure. This news release led me to believe that FR 26 was closed from SR 530, being about 21.6 miles (according to my map-tech program) from Downey Creek TH. After a short call to the NFS, I found out that it is closed 6 miles up from SR 530, so you are looking at a 15.6 +/- mile hike to or from the Downy Creek TH.

Edited by Mikester

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we did the Ptarmigan last year, I heard from one of my friends that there is apparently a southern continuation of the route that comes out much further south than Downey Creek. Unfortunately, I don't have many more details than that but suppose they're out there somewhere.

I don't know if I would recommend Agnes Creek to anyone unless they have been in that way before. Much more challenging route finding wise than the standard PT start/finish (find Bachelor Creek and following that to Downey Creek)... And it doesn't help that Beckey's description/beta for Agnes Creek contains some errors.

In my opinion, routefinding out Spruce/Agnes Creeks is rather straightforward, and if you're bent on doing the PT this summer, it's seems like a more aesthetic completion than a 15+ mile road hike. Also, I would think that most parties qualified to do the PT would be prepared to do a little added routefinding.

John,

Reading the Beckey description leads me to believe you could exit the Chickamin just South of Gunsight South peak (See Kearney description of alternate Dome route in Classic Climbs of the Northwest); then maybe follow the ridge system or nearby to the Spruce/Icy Pass; then on down for the Agnes/Spruce Creek out. Or there is the Agnes Creek out which would descend the Chickamin Northeasterly to the East of the Chickamin Snout and into the green for a possible bivy; then on down to the West fork and out. Either one of these sound pretty cool to me. What part of the Beckey description is in error? How should someone do it?

One possibility is to descend Sinister to the South (a class 3 gully takes you down to the glacier from ~8000' on Sinister's East Ridge), then make a descending traverse to the East on the Blue Glacier headed for Blue Lake (NOTE: Blue Glacier and Blue Mtn are mislabeled on the USGS) . Gain about 400'-500' to the ridge above Blue Lake and contour through the adjacent basin that lies to its East, crossing several gullies and ribs while making a slow, descending traverse to about 4600', about 1/2 mile before the intersection of Spruce and Agnes Creeks. From here, find a forested rib and head straight down to Spruce Creek (some slide alder patches here). Follow Spruce Creek to just past the confluence and find one of two easy log crossings (about 300 yards North of the confluence). Swamp Creek (roughly 9 miles from Stehekin River Road), is a nice place to camp. Expect it to take ~5 hours from the summit of Sinister to reach Swamp Creek Camp.

Sinister.JPG

Come on guys, quit giving everyone step-by-step beta for anywhere in the mountains. Leave some mysteries in place.

However, for anyone considering Agnes creek as an approach or deproach this summer, the solid frame trail bridge across Agnes Creeek Canyon was destroyed by a 200' fir tree this winter. Basically Agnes creek and the trail are uncrossable until repaired, and you can't make it to the Stehekin Road. If you made it down from the PT to this point, you'd be looking at a 30 mile hike over to Holden Village as your best option. Enjoy!

When we did the Ptarmigan last year, I heard from one of my friends that there is apparently a southern continuation of the route that comes out much further south than Downey Creek. Unfortunately, I don't have many more details than that but suppose they're out there somewhere.

Continue on through the hanging gardens to Image Lake, and hike down to Darrington. It's a pretty logical continuation and is an amazing area.

I hardly think Tom was handing out step by step instructions. It looks like he has described a cool variation of one possible descent into Spruce Creek from the Chikamin.

Thanks to everyone for adding to this thread. I am sure many groups looking at the PT this year will benifit.

Word from NFS is that there should be "something temporary" in place for foot traffic at the location of the High Bridge by late June. Otherwise tack on 10 miles to Lucerne.

you need to work on those map reading skills. Lucerne on foot would be 34 miles from where you meet the trail. Holden Village would be 22. Stehekin road would be 9.(including a canyon that is currently unbridged)

Dude, I'll clarify: from where I intersect the PCT from Spruce it would be about 10 miles further to hike to the lake at Lucerne (27.6 miles) verses hiking to the lake at Stehekin (19.30 miles) assuming you don't get a ride on either road. Not exactly 10 miles... I rounded. It looks like we're adding up to the same mileage. We must be hitting the PCT in a different spot... no matter. ;^{>>

PS: you need to work on your people skills.