Rap Bolting on Prusik Peak

Dane

Pays to remember this is a business to most involved. You want to change things tell them it is bad business. How about this as a start?

To: climb@bdel.com, info@metoliusclimbing.com , info@petzl.com

Re:Rap Bolting on Prusik Peak

"My understanding is your sponsored climbers rap bolted (via hand drill) the headwall there this summer.

Avoiding the obvious and unclimbed thin seam.

I have supported all of you over the years. How about you inturn support the future of our sport with a public statement condemning such actions as irresponsible and illadvised?

"Silence over time is acceptance".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would rather they AVOIDED the obvious seam, and bolted away from it, than that they BOLTED the obvious seam. Is this the case? The wording is kind of ambiguous.Do the bolts follow the seam or not? If not then I wonder what is wrong with it - the bolting? Hand drill placed bolts are legal in wilderness, are they not?

I know the crew involved (if it is in fact the same line) and they have worked that route over several years and if they resorted to a bolt then there was no other conceivable option - these aren't rap bolters, they are bold and gifted free climbers who wouldn't do it otherwise.

I know the crew involved (if it is in fact the same line) and they have worked that route over several years and if they resorted to a bolt then there was no other conceivable option - these aren't rap bolters, they are bold and gifted free climbers who wouldn't do it otherwise.

If they were talented, bold and gifted free climbers they would solve the problem without need of placing a bolt. Placing a bolt is this arena is an acts of ungifted cowards. Grow balls. Since it seems otherwise, they should save the route for others that are more talented and bolder, or future generations to solve the problem.

Bolts have their place. Prussik and the Enchantments are not the place.

Dane:

Have you seen the route?

Done the route?

Have a name or rating?

Know who put it up?

Know when they did it?

Examined the "seam" in question?

How many bolts are there?

How far apart are they?

How steep is the route?

Are there any drilling stances?

It seems a bit half-cocked to start writing letters to gear manufacturers before you have all the information. An "aidable thin seam" is different from a free climb, and I don't think bashies, as others have proposed, are ethically superior to bolts. Since the bolts were hand drilled, the legality is not in question, so what's the access issue?

It seems to me that you're arguing that a: bolts don't belong in the mountains and b: rap bolting is not a valid means of establishing routes. Am I reading you correctly?

Have you seen the route?

Done the route?

Have a name or rating?

Know who put it up?

Know when they did it?

Examined the "seam" in question?

How many bolts are there?

How far apart are they?

How steep is the route?

Are there any drilling stances?

One other question Dane: can you trace your family lineage back to Salem, MA in say... 1692?

Dane doesn't know the answers to these questions... that's why he's asking for the answers on the other ban camp page.

If he did his homework he would know they weren't/aren't sponsored by Petzl...

If they were talented, bold and gifted free climbers they would solve the problem without need of placing a bolt. Placing a bolt is this arena is an acts of ungifted cowards. Grow balls. Since it seems otherwise, they should save the route for others that are more talented and bolder, or future generations to solve the problem.

Bolts have their place. Prussik and the Enchantments are not the place.

There is a lot of potential for hard, quality climbs on Prussik and other rock formations in the Enchantments. However, lots of the crack systems are not continuous and need to be linked over blank faces via the use of bolts. This is appropriate when placed sparingly and on lead, which apparantly was not the case here. thumbs_down.gif

There is a lot of potential for hard, quality climbs on Prussik and other rock formations in the Enchantments. However, lots of the crack systems are not continuous and need to be linked over blank faces via the use of bolts.

Word up. However it is still pure speculation on how the bolts were placed. No one has confirmed:

whether or not they were placed on lead

how many exist

if a power tool was used

what features, if any, exist

and other important questions that should be answered first before people should start screaming for so called justice.

Why don't you start with Off White's questions specifically: was it rap bolted with a power drill?

Once you have that answer you can determine if your oh-so-important special attention is merited.

As my dad always said: trying to skip steps will only result in you falling on your face.

And when are you guys going to look into removing the now defunct dam in there? Talk about large scale rock alteration! Blasphemy!

Really sucks to hear about this rap bolting with a handdrill or power drill when my buddy and i were trying to go groundup. (i am fairly sure that the capt saw them rap bolting) For dan and i the final headwall shut us down and we have not been back for a few years....we planned on finishing it this year but I had to slip hiking in early august mad.gif

hey 'ed, where does the route go?

Why don't you start with Off White's questions specifically: was it rap bolted with a power drill?

Once you have that answer you can determine if your oh-so-important special attention is merited.

As my dad always said: trying to skip steps will only result in you falling on your face.

And when are you guys going to look into removing the now defunct dam in there? Talk about large scale rock alteration! Blasphemy!

I don't care. post the shit. I don't care if it is powerbolted anyways.

The bolts on SWF of Prusik that I am aware of consist of two rap anchors (two 3/8" bolts + hangers + rings) about 35m apart and two single 3/8'" bolts which were right next to an easily protectable crack (0.5 camalot size). I don't care if they were power drilled or notand I don't really care if they were placed on rappel or not, but I do care that they are 35m apart (annoying if they are meant for rappelling rather than climbing) and that the two single bolts are right next to a protectable crack thumbs_down.gif.

I saw these bolts when Gary_Yngve and I got off-route (too far west) trying to climb the SF or Prusik this summer.

Maybe these aren't the same bolts ya'll are talking about, but I assume they are.

What I was saying is that I am pissed regardless of what they used to drill.

But WHAT are you pissed about? Doesn't seem that anyone really knows the answers to the questions above. How can you get on your high horse without knowing the facts?