[TR] Chair Peak- North Face 1/25/2006

skykilo

Climb: Chair Peak-North Face

Date of Climb: 1/25/2006

Trip Report:

"The Electric Chair"

Route.jpg

Eric and I climbed and skied the North Face of Chair Peak yesterday.

I really wanted to do it Tuesday but nobody could go. Ross is on some 'I gotta get ready for a two-week trip to rock climb in the desert sun' bullshit. At least Eric could muster Wednesday. The day-late penalty was ubiquitous crust.

We simulclimbed about 5 100' pitches. I stopped at a tree to rerack below a cruxy looking spot near the top.

Climb1.jpg

Climb2.jpg

"Hey Eric, want to do a lead so you can say you pulled your weight?"

"Sure you shit-talker."

Eric styled his pitch, with an undercling to boot, before I followed and we simuled another half pitch to the top.

Forget the crust, there's powder right underneath it! Eric had brought the oh-so-appropriate Karhu Jaks for the descent. He wasn't throwing the towel and I sure as hell wasn't going to tell him what he could and couldn't do.

I'll let Eric speak for himself, but I skied with two 15m raps. (The rappel spots are the magenta dots on the route photo.) My sidestepping quotient was a little high, but I did make turns on every section I didn't rap. The turns off the top above where we rappeled the highest 70-degree ice bulge were pretty damn exhilirating.

SkiRap.jpg

"Look ma, I'm rapping switch!"

The weather had turned into a snowy whiteout by the time we got off the face. I made it to my intramural game at the IMA on time and balled hard on mofos. Yeah.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!

Did you have to rap the bottom of the route as well?

No raps at the bottom. I did a little boof onto some disappointingly-unforgiving crust (harder than I had expected) at the lowest bulge. One last spinal readjustment over the bergschrund and our rewards were never-ending crust on moderate terrain to the car.