GPS Recommendation

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check eBay. I got the Vista CX with MapSource full north america for ~ $285 shiped, brand new. So far I'm pretty stoked on the Vista. Color screen is pretty nice, functionality is everything I'd ever need in a GPSr and the USB connection is super fast.

Having the topos on the GPS is pretty nice too.

If you are considering the eTrex vista, why not look at the Magellan eXplorist 500 or 600?

If you want to use it in a car, like say navigating to a trailhead, bigger screens are nice.

so, you're sarcastically saying the vista is useless for mountaineering?

If the GPS can't help me reliably navigate off say the Muir snowfield in a whiteout, I don't want it. (And yes I have and know how to use a compass)

Kozak, spend the extra dough and get the Cadillac - you won't regret it. It does what the Vista does, but better (eg. bigger screen and better antennae).

As for software, there is an abundance of "freely available" stuff that a person can download via bittorents if your conscience allows - not that I ever have or would mind you - (eg. Topo Canada, Topo USA, US National Parks @ 24 K etc).

'm considering buying a GPS. The two models I am looking at are:

1) Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx GPS

Priced around $450

2) Garmin eTrex Vista Cx GPS

Priced around $300

Number 1) is a bit pricey. Do its features justify the higher price? Any feedback out there?

60CSX and its features are well worth the price--yes and yes--although you should be able to get it for much less. I paid about $100 less shopping around/using discounts 11 months ago. However, you'll be spending much more for a bigger memory card (biggest is best), map software, minor accessories (carry bag, holders for car, etc.). [Edited to add: more power to ya if you can get software per Bigtree's "suggestion."]

I researched this heavily one year ago, and decided on the 60CSX over the Vista Cx and others--then shopped for price. I used to sell all kinds of GPS's 10+ years ago, and am blown away with the improvements since then--especially with this unit.

I use it for climbing, SAR and work, and for driving as well as on foot and skis. Excellent for satellite acquisition in tree cover, and use with a PC.

Edited by pindude

Some people would say the Map 60 series is overkill, but I'm a bit of a navigation geek, and I've had a GPSMap 60C for a couple of years now. Very pleased with it, especially with the battery life. Great display. Mine is the version before they made it with the memory cards, so I just missed out on that benefit.

I also have the Garmin City Navigator software, and load maps onto the unit so I can use it as an in-car navigation system. Not the biggest display for that use, but entirely adequate.

I have an older Magellan Sport Trak. Trained on a rescue team with many other brands and it always seemed to lock faster than others and it picked up satellites in forested areas better than Garmin. It's a base model; no maps, etc. Throw some lithiums in it and it's pretty light weight. Had it for many years and never used it beyond training or rescue mission tracking. IMHO drop all the bells and whistles and go basic and light. Practice map and compass EVERY year and plan on using it as your primary navigation tool.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the etrex vista black and white (pre-color) and its ok. For backcountry usage it shines and I've never had a problem but for on-board navigation (car, motorcycle, etc) its just too small. Drop the coin and get the better GPS unless you are super anal about weight. In that case, you can buy mine--preloaded with city navigator. ;-)

Another thing, save some coin and buy refurbished from a reputable dealer like edgegps.com. A bunch of my enduro-riding friends have bought refurbished GPS from them for cheap (streetpilot 2720 is only 375!) and had great results. Comes with a year warranty just like the new units.

I have the etrex vista black and white (pre-color) and its ok. For backcountry usage it shines and I've never had a problem but for on-board navigation (car, motorcycle, etc) its just too small. Drop the coin and get the better GPS unless you are super anal about weight. In that case, you can buy mine--preloaded with city navigator. ;-)

Another thing, save some coin and buy refurbished from a reputable dealer like edgegps.com. A bunch of my enduro-riding friends have bought refurbished GPS from them for cheap (streetpilot 2720 is only 375!) and had great results. Comes with a year warranty just like the new units.

Thanks.

I ended up buying the Cadillac.

It's obviously too late and dated information, but I got a magellen sport trak black and white four years ago for the following reasons:

1) better world topographic maps.

2) better world road maps.

3) faster aquisition time (saves battery).

4) black and white screen is roughly 60% more energy efficient.

5) smaller screen is more energy efficient.

I used this unit on a series of visits to the outer circles of hell and it performed effectively with excellent battery life.

Thanks.

Did it have a built in GPS??

Did it have a built in GPS??

:lmao:

Nah, but it's got onstar so he can just press a button and ask "Where am I".

But to get out in the wilderness, like a real urban woodsman, you really should have ponied up and got the Escallade.

I just purchased the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX for $330 (incl Shipping) from DELL, online. Online deals are easy to find, you should not have to pay retail. The 60CSX uses the newest technology, the SiRF3 chipset, which is FAR superior in reception sensitivity and speed to position fix. These are easily worth an extra $100.