[TR] Fee Demo Wall- Million Dollar Footbridge, 5.9 8/17/2006

catbirdseat

Climb: Fee Demo Wall-Million Dollar Footbridge, 5.9

Date of Climb: 8/17/2006

Trip Report:

Rather than going to Exit 32/38 as we usually do on a Thursday evening, we decided to check out Fee Demo Wall which is located on the north face of Steggosaurus Butte on the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River.

Larry and I carpooled up from the QFC and met Jimbabwe at the trailhead at Taylor River. A 15 minute hike had us to the base of the wall. It was dry and looked pretty clean.

I led up the first pitch of Million Dollar Footbridge on a single 60 meter rope. This is a really nice route with very consistantly challenging climbing at the 5.9 level. It's a real rope-stretcher. My belayer had one meter of rope left when I clipped into the chains. To my surprise, rope drag became a significant factor near the end of the pitch. [Found a pair of carabiners on a bolt half-way up, attesting to a previous visit by climbers who forgot to bring a second rope]

The #2 TCU mentioned in the Topo is really optional, as the climbing at that particular place is easy. A #8 or so B/D nut might work there too.

First I brought up Larry, who is a beginner rock climber and then Jim. This was Larry's first 5.9 slab climb. He had some difficulty in places but did a good job.

Jim took the second pitch, which looked a lot grungier than the first. This pitch is 5.10, but of about the same difficulty overall as the first. It does have a more difficult crux about three or four bolts from the top.

The moss on the rock was more a mental factor than physical. The good foot placements were all clean. Still, that second pitch could use a bit of scrubbing. Don't let the foreshortening in the topo fool you. The second pitch is nearly as long as the first, about 55 meters.

My impression is that Fee Demo Wall is a place I'd like to go back to with more time. I thought the route we did was well thought-out. The bolts were all well placed to protect the hard moves. There is zero chance of a Z-clip as the bolts are never closer to one another than 10 feet or so.

160fee-demo.jpg

An earlier cc.com post on Fee Demo Wall

Gear Notes:

14 draws

1 60 meter rope

1 50 or 60 meter rope

Approach Notes:

A very easy and pleasant approach.

Don't forget your Trail Park Pass.

Edited by catbirdseat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBS- what length of rope were you using? We took 2 60 meters when we were there recently. While we definitely needed both ropes to get down we had plenty of rope left to make the chains on that pitch. Way more than one meter.

My partners particularly enjoyed the .10d next to it. It was deemed a fun lead with a good pucker factor. You should give that one a try next time you're there. It was a little to tricky for a wuss like me to enjoy.

Edited by minx

I visited Fee Demo Wall a few weeks ago and had a great experience. Found the 5.9 to be as reported above; also did Sub Aqueous which felt much harder than 10b (like 10d?). Gear notes on the topo are exactly right.

All in all, a fantastic area. Could use a little brushing in some areas and I'll bring one on my return.

The Million Dollar Footbridge (the actual footbridge) is impressive and beautiful.