Access to MOT weather information sites

matosan

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Matt

I have been trying to get access to this archived information for just over a year now..they are Enviroment Canada weather stations and you can get all the info you need but you have to pay for it..just like any archived weather data..it pays to have friends in EC but sometimes its difficult to get the info immediately

Hydro runs the other stations and I have made headway there, I have many stations and locations that are sort of public and I have past data for them about a weeks worth. The CAA has or should have access to all the info as they have a relationship with EC

You may have noticed in the ice section that I was recording the hourly observations from sites that I wanted to see, duffey,downtown,cayoosh and posting them..

I geuss you mean this site and thought it was MOT but look at the adress

http://www.weatheroffice.pyr.ec.gc.ca/icbctravelalert/dtables_e.html

http://www.weatheroffice.pyr.ec.gc.ca/rwisfeed/26224_e.htm

Basically you just have to be religious about loading up the site each day and getting an idea of the trend

IF you have any questions just post them here and ill try and answer them or get answers for you

cheers

Jesse

Hi Matt:

I think this is shameful that we pay to gather this info, but are not allowed access to it.

I thought I heard last winter from a representative of the CAA that these wx stations were going to become publicly accesible as of this winter, but what you say seems to contradict this. I believe he told me that the gov had decided that the cost recovery proram was not worth the time or money to run it. Unfortunately I can not rememebr who I talked to about this. Perhaps you could query the CAA and see if they know anything about it...

It would be great to have acces to this sort of info, especially if someone had the time and knowledge to write some nice front end stuff so we could see it in a slick visual format.

I will try and find time to write the email, and if I do, I'll BCC you on it.

[edit] done, check your admin @ mailbox...

and I crosspopsted to TGR...[/edit]

snoboy